KB Homes | Moldy Home Could Lead To Deadly Infection
KB Home dispute; girl’s health at risk
Ruskin, Florida — Back in 2006, Suzette Holness and her family were excited about moving into their brand new KB Home. The 5-bedroom house in the Blackstone community had everything they wanted, but it wasn’t long before her daughter Davie Goldson began getting sick.
“I had headaches, nausea,” says 10-year-old Davie through a blue mask on her face, while sitting in a wheelchair. Davie hasn’t been in her house for months, but she remembers how it made her feel.
“That something was trying to kill me,” she says.
When Davie first started having headaches and other problems, Holness says they found out she was allergic to mold, but they never suspected their brand new house. And then when Davie was diagnosed with Leukemia in 2010, the family had bigger worries-chemo-therapy, relapses, and last January a life-saving bone marrow transplant at All Children’s Hospital.
But after her release from the hospital, Davie again began having problems.
“Came back home in March, just to have her getting sick all over again, ‘My head hurts, I can’t breathe,’” describes Holness.
Holness had noticed cracks in her stucco, but it wasn’t until she saw a 10 News report in August about water intrusion and mold problems at another KB Home community, that she realized why Davie might be getting sick. Holness says tests confirm there is mold in the house.
“This is like a death trap, because we don’t know what’s behind those walls,” she says.
After contacting KB about the mold, Holness says KB put them up in nearby condo, which also had water problems, so she and Davie have been living with a distant relative.
Holness also says that KB initially agreed to make minor repairs — seal and paint. But Holness says KB stopped communicating when she insisted on mold remediation and after sending them a letter from Davie’s doctor.
In that letter Dr. David Shyr wrote that infections from mold “could potentially kill her…therefore it is absolutely necessary for the repair of her residence to remove/repair any potential source of mold infestation or contamination.”
“No response, everyone has just dropped it and they’ve walked away,” Holness says and that’s one of the reasons she called 10 News.
A spokeswoman for KB Home disputes Holness’ account and says the company is trying to make repairs.
Here is the company’s full statement:
“KB Home has been in contact with this homeowner and has made several attempts to begin repairs on the home, but they did not provide adequate access. We also immediately provided alternative living and are now accommodating an additional request for a new relocation. We are sympathetic to this family’s personal situation, and remain committed to take the necessary steps to ensure repairs are made and they have a safe and healthy home.”
As for Davie, she’d just like her health back and her room “with my toys”.